Zombie apples,maybe?

Weird,and somewhat scary.

I went over to Mom’s and put together a back porch worm farm for her. It gives her a place to get rid of peelings,stale bread,and suchlike.

It also provides some worms and compost for her potted plants,and it also gives the grandkids something to do when they’re over there.

Last week there were some slices of apple on the counter that looked to have been sitting for a day,and needed to go. So I finger dig a hole in one of the rose containers,throw in the apple slices,and cover them up with dirt.

A few minutes ago,I go to put some potato peelings in the same rose container,and accidentally uncover the apple slices I buried about 5 days ago. The things looked pretty much intact and untouched,once I brushed off a little bit of dirt.

This is in 90+ degree heat,btw,with godless humidity levels,and daily watering. Those apple hunks should NOT be intact like that,I don’t think.

What do? Kill them with fire? Soak them in bleach? Feed them to my enemies?

Whatever is in those things,it isn’t natural and I doubt very much it’s good for anyone.

3 Likes

Probably whatever was sprayed on it - to turn men into women, women into men and turn goyim brain to mush.

I try to buy organic whenever possible - or better, grow my own (I have a beautiful apple tree suitable for the heat of Southern California - never spray it! And get wonderful, crisp apples from it).

6 Likes

I’ll give you one word to research and you will eventually come to your own personal conclusions.

Glyphosate.

Only buy organic to avoid the Monsanto/genocide environmental poisoning and even worms won’t touch it as you have witnessed.

5 Likes

After we win,and when the zhids are all safely confined in The Camps Oy Vey,we’re going to have to make sure that they get fed the same stuff that they’re using to poison us.

4 Likes

Update on the zombie apples:

I have also discovered what appears to be zombie broccoli. My banana peels vanish in a day or two when cut into small pieces and buried,but they don’t count because I’ve always bought organic bananas.

It would seem then, that a small,backyard worm farm is a very useful indicator for what is and is not decent food. (This is on top of providing a place to get rid of your kitchen leftovers,and some good fertilizer.)

Just slice up some of whatever-it-is,and bury it in the worm farm. Check on it occasionally,and see if the stuff is decomposing and see if it’s getting eaten by the worms. If worms aren’t eating it and it doesn’t seem to be decomposing,you might want to think twice about gnawing on it yourself.

1 Like

Vermacomposting (sp?) is an excellent indicator of the general health of whatever you put in it. Your apples are a good example.

However, we’ve been making several large totes of it annually for years, and some things break down better than others.

Cruciferous vegetables(cabbage-like) broccoli, cauliflower; squash, etc. don’t break down well unless finely chopped or broken down into small pieces.

A blender is good for this, with a small amount of water. We have an small, ancient hand grinder we use. Save those trimmings in a paper bag in the fridge, and do it once a week.

Your right, roses absolutely love this stuff!

So does everything else too. Put a couple tablespoons in each quart of potting soil and start your seeds in it, you will be astonished how quickly they grow, and how hearty they are.

1 Like

Thank you,and I’ll certainly keep that in mind. I didn’t really expect a broccoli stalk to decompose very fast,even after slicing it up thin. ( I might get ambitious and try the blender/food processor route). What I noticed,though,is that the broccoli stalk in question doesn’t look like it’s even trying to decompose. I dug some up-again,by accident,more or less-and after 4 or 5 days,the stuff is still bright green!

So I start wondering what’s going on when stuff like that happens.

Also,I’ve observed that the worms in Mom’s roses(in big containers) are a lot more energetic than the original worm farm worms. The rose containers get most of the veggie peelings,and those,worms literally bounce around when uncovered. And grow much larger than the original worm farm worms,I might add. So will worms eat pretty much anything?

Based on my thus far limited experience,yes. But what you feed them makes a big difference in their reproduction rates and their energy levels. The worms fed on veggie scraps can move fast enough to be hard to catch!

1 Like

Yeeaah…kinda.

While I basicly tend to them for my daughter when she’s away. I think they grow best, and produce the best compost is with fairly equal amounts of ‘browns’- crumbled leaves, dry grass clippings, straw or hay chaff etc.

‘Yellows’- food scraps, egg shells, bread crusts, the like

‘Fibers’ - shredded news print (no glossy ads), brown paper bags, non waxed butcher paper, sawdust (careful of what kind, acidic dust, from oaks, nut trees, and pines).

And much more water than you would think.

1 Like

I’m glad to see you taking interest in this project!

Aside from what you need for personal use, that stuff sells for Mad Money!

Sift it out well, let it dry in a thin layer in the sun, and bag it up!

In my area, a kilo (2.2 lbs) of this organic vermacompost. Retails for 25USD!

1 Like

Your experience correlates well with my observations! I learned that brown paper and cardboard are much better than white paper. And vegetable scraps and other kitchen waste are excellent

Same with the water requirements. They’re perfectly content with a lot more water than seems decent. Also,fire ants love worm beds- you have to work fairly hard to keep fire ants out-keeping the colony in a basin of soap water seems to be the easiest method.

Heat will do the worms in long before cold will,at least here in Central Texas. A damp towel over the colony seems to work,and it’s almost a necessity to keep the whole shebang in the shade.

And you’re right about the price! Wormcasts sell for shocking amounts of money at the local farmers’ markets. Fishing worms too,for that matter. Worms are shaping up to be a side gig that’s definitely worth some effort.

1 Like