Busch, Serkin, Moyse - Brandenburg No. 5

My favorite recording of this. Busch is upper left in the picture/video thumbnail. (Serkin and Moyse are not shown.) He was founder of Salzburg Festival, and later Marlboro Festival in Vt. (where I went to college) along with Serkin and Moyse. (People from the Festival taught at the college in the 70’s when I went there.) It’s a different style than Bach is played now - more dramatic - like the other-worldly ethereal soft parts in 1st Movement. - and the gigantic keyboard cadenza, also 1st Movement, written out in full by Bach.

3 Likes

Delete post delete post delete post. I can’t seem to delete the post containing the wrong picture I posted here so am replacing the picture with this text. (ok wait a second: as long as I’ve got a whole new post may as well talk about Bach - the thing about the pre-mid-century style of the recording that’s most different from today (and Bach’s time) is the instrumentation. (but whereas back then (c. 1940) they would sometimes use a full modern orchestra for a Brandenburg Concerto, this performance is a small ensemble of maybe 7 or 8, more in conformance with practice in the 18th Century) The big difference is recorder (a wooden whistle with holes to change the pitch that comes in several sizes) is replaced with a modern transverse flute (Moyse) which hadn’t been invented in Bach’s time (b. 1685). Also, instead of harpsichord (sounds like skeletons dancing around) they use a modern piano (Serkin) which wasn’t fully developed in it’s present form till about 1900. And the piano particularly shows the (in my opinion superior) expressive capabilities of modern instruments when it comes to Bach. There are theories (to which I subscribe) that god wrote some of Bach’s keyboard music presciently with the piano in mind, and the virtuosic cadenza (a place in a concerto where the orchestra stops near the end and the solo instrumentalist gets to show off, alone, usually written/improvised by the soloist himself ((but this is a “concerto grosso” so there’s three soloists actually)) in the 1st Movement. It is as if Bach knew what a modern 9’ piano could do when he wrote that cadenza. It just ain’t the same on a harpsichord. Also, while violins are pretty much the same, in Bach’s time the bow was different and harder to use. There is a whole school of “authentic performance practice” the grew up around in the '70s that uses “baroque bow” and lower tuning. In many instances they sort of posit Bach was probably a little tone deaf, since it’s so hard to play the things on key I guess.

2 Likes

@brucewhain
My mother was a violinist and I was completely immersed in classical music at a young age. Do you like Debussy?

My favorite I would say is Chopin.

3 Likes

A lot of period instrument performances sound rather thin and brittle. Bach, Mozart, et al probably would’ve loved to have modern instruments at their disposal. Beethoven was always asking piano manufacturers to improve the sound of their instruments.

Bach was the first composer to take the harpsichord out of the background and have it figure prominently in chamber and orchestral compositions. I always enjoy listening to his Mass in B minor (BWV 232) while watching hilarious videos of niggers doing stupid things.

black%20fight

2 Likes

Listening to Chopin’s nocturnes, etudes, polonaises, etc is guaranteed to raise one’s IQ by at least 5 points. To think that in his time girls swooned to his music, along with that of Liszt and Paganini. How far our civilization has fallen in less than 200 years!

4 Likes

all babies and children should be immersed in classical music. the jigaboos are playing violent rap in the house with their kids and the results are predictable.

3 Likes

@MightyWhitey There was a time in the not-too-distant past when the spades listened to more civilized music from the likes of Louis Armstrong, Nat King Cole and The Inkspots. But then the Vietnam War and Marchin Lootin Koon came along.

2 Likes

yeah but the music change came after ronny raygun restarted Nixon’s failed drug war. it galvanized the black community against SWAT raids and created thousands of small negroid drug gangs. then they started rapping and glorifying their gangsta lifestyle.

@MightyWhitey You’re right, the ghetto funk and disco of the 70s was fun, but then everything started getting real negative in the 80s.

Remember Wattstax '72? It was the “Black Woodstock”!

YouTube

1 Like

blacks went from THIS!

to THIS!

1 Like

I really dig those striped pants and spats! Dat nigga be stylin’!

Chopin & Bach were my main writ out race tracks, (and more Schubert at college than Beethoven) since I could neither read too effectively or improvise it was sort of this latter day US/Japanese form of race track piano performance. If I’d known what I know at 60 when I was three I coulda been a good musician.

1 Like

@brucewhain
I struggled at the piano when I was forced into the structured lessons by my parents but I found the guitar suited my aggression levels quite well with volume.

Well i donno. To tell you the truth i think Rap (some of it) is really great, original, catchy. Germany produced about 12 for-certain musical geniuses, among them one Jew, Mendelssohn, who was a GERMAN genius. I mean he of course had his own requisite genius style, but wrote in the German style with German technique. And his family had been Messianic for generations. So then came the Slavs (for lack of a better less RACIST designation.) and Rachmaninoff only died in 1946 because he managed to escape to the US. How many more geniuses would they have produced if the Jews hadn’t killed off better than half the Russian and Polish population? Of course there’s the Gypsies. They had the first mature musical proprietary style of their own that existed on the European Continent. My theory is the Jews hated it so much they made certain Gypsies would never be able to live in civilized society until the end of time. Which brings us to Cuba. That stuff leading up to 1959 was definitely genius if you ask me, resulting from the combination of cultures that existed there. But what happened ? - a Communist Revolution. So much for that. But like what music in the past 100 years is most original, innovative? Catchy, like Bach or Chopin? (not individual achievement but in terms of an overall style like Germany 1685 to early 20th, Slav 1810 to mid-20th) That was it - Cuba, and the things like Rap, Ragtime that are sort of side pieces that form the main trend here in US. It has set the direction of modern music. Otherwise the main-stream is like the Jew-run universities atonal “The Agony of Modern Music” stuff that no one even listens to.

1 Like

rap??? Worthless to the blacks and a psychological manipulation tool the negros are unaware of to commit violence against whites.

But yeh, you’re right these “authentic performance practice” guys use too much rosin. And their mournful thing of trailing off every long note to the flat side is disgusting and stupid. They give Baroque Music a bad name - can you blame anyone for hating that shit?

1 Like

Yeh but it’s original and catchy anyway. And you know sompin’ else: Blacks have superior vocal apparatus built-in. (I know, I live with them)

@brucewhain

So you live with blacks? Well ok?
My two all time best blues guitar players.
Monday’s suck.

1 Like

Yes, in the building, no choice in the matter given my economic status and desire to be allowed to go out and walk around/ take a train, go places. It keeps me active. But I am iconoclast vs. conventional right wing thinking on blacks being inherently less intelligent than whites. It’s a matter of experience and theirs is shorter by a matter of a couple thousand years. IQ tests are a Jewish construct designed to help them take over the world. IQ is bullshit and it’s surprising the alt-lite like Stefan Molineax (emotionally affected and lying defender of Jews) actually tries to put that one over. And Christopher CantwelI for that matter. And Richard Spencer (not surprising when you Google “alt right leader” THAT’S who you get at the top) who is just creepy, I swear there’s something wrong with that guy. I mean according to david duke, Hilel the Jewish magazine for college Jews, says the graduate student body at Harvard is 67% Jewish. There is no rhyme or reason to anything people believe about inherent superiority of certain races. It’s all Jewish Jive.

2 Likes

And besides: in my experience (and I flatter myself to think i know something about these things) on a per capita basis there are more blacks who can sing nicely on key with no special training or anything - than there are whites. Better pitch discrimination. And what portends that superior vocal apparatus? … if you consider the main purpose for that is talking…